Guardianship – the home from home care you expect for your child
“ ( They) displayed absolute integrity using their wealth of experience and professional etiquette and we have found a choice of homestay which is conducive and appropriate with all the prescribed preferences desired”.Parent from Nigeria
Why choose us for Guardianship of your son or daughter?
We know how we would want our children cared for in this situation and therefore aim to do the same for your children. The best host family is one which is the best -fit for your child and where he or she will fit in best.
JMC has been working in the Independent School sector for over 10 years providing training for Teaching & House staff as well as school inspections in readiness for ISI. Director, John Medlicott is a former Boarding Assistant Housemaster at Harrow School , prior to that he was Housemaster at an IAPS Prep School in Shropshire. He has 25 years of teaching experience at some of the most prestigious independent schools in the UK. Our Guardianship team bring a wealth of experience with over 20 years of teaching, housemistress and management/leadership in HMC and GSA schools alongside European and UK awards for work with students and host stay families, internship and work experience programmes and over 14 years of experience in school inspections.
We work with the commitment and dedication you would expect as parents handing your children over to our Guardianship team. These supporting and caring values are also shared by the schools and host families with which we work.
We understand how difficult it is for some children to settle into a new and very different environment and our aim is to make this as easy as possible and to give you, as parents, peace of mind.
Our Guardianship team are accredited and certified by Boarding Schools Association (BSA) and Association of Educational Guardians for Overseas Students (AEGIS).
We are certified by BSA – the Boarding School’s Association. BSA is the United Kingdom Association serving and representing member Boarding Schools, training staff and promoting boarding education in both Independent and State Boarding Schools. The BSA is an independent association which is Member of the Independent Schools Council (ISC).
Accredited by AEGIS
The Association for the Education and Guardianship of International Students (AEGIS) main purpose is to safeguard the welfare of international students studying at schools, colleges and universities in the UK, making them feel safe, welcome and cared for.
Through their rigours accreditation process, they provide peace of mind that those offering guardianship services to these students meet the very highest standards of care.
Guardianship Services in the UK
Most well established UK Independent Schools require all young people coming into the United Kingdom for more than 12 weeks to have a guardian who will be there to care for that child when required. This guardian is in addition to the school you choose for your son/daughter and will ensure that there is “wrap around care” offered outside of the school terms, in the exeats and at weekends as required.
Whilst we understand that we cannot work with your child as parents, we try very hard to be the next best thing to support your son/daughter. We aspire to attain an excellent relationship with him/her to give care and support at the highest level.
Guardianship Services Ages 8 to 18
Our Guardianship team have a wealth of experience in dealing with international pupils and we have very high standards in all we undertake and dedicated staff to support them. We aim to nurture children who come to the UK to learn and be educated, in order for them to have a positive experience and one they will treasure over the years.
Please see below what is included in your “Home from Home” service
Home from Home Service
Welfare & Pastoral
- 24/7 emergency support – eg cancelled flights, suspension from school, illness or other need
- Initial meeting on arrival (or as soon as practically possible) to give support and practical information – pupil handbook and map of area etc.
- Personal meet and greet at airport and return to airport
- Travel arrangements start/end terms to homestay or airport
- Registering your child with GP and Dentist on arrival and attending appointments as required.
- Attending hospital, GP appointments etc as required
- Regular email and phone contact with child
- Providing official documents required by schools and authorities
- Visits to pupils at school and homestays (4 per academic year)
- English “Afternoon Tea” with guardian providing an opportunity for discussion about homestay and school issues
- Opening bank account and supporting mobile phone account
- Support should there be an unexpected issue at school – and if necessary place him/her in emergency accommodation (cost of homestay an extra cost)
- Should an unexpected issue arise at home – we will be there to support you and your child and if necessary will visit the school on your behalf
- Should your child be taken ill then we will liaise with the school and either find a homestay placement urgently or attend the hospital should this be necessary
- Organise homestays for weekends, exeats and holidays – all homestays fully inspected regularly and all families safeguarding trained
- Attendance at parents’ evening and follow up summary report (in English) to parents
- Support with UCAS applications – including advice on university choice/help on personal statements, completion of application form and arrangements for Open Day visits as required
- Termly meeting with housemaster/mistress with pastoral report to parents
- Purchasing school uniform, shoes or other needs
- Guidance for scholarship applications in present school
- Guidance and advice on choosing A level subjects (GCSE if required)
Guardianship : Home from Home Plus
Please speak to us for a more bespoke package of care should you wish this
Optional extras to add in
- Translating summary reports into home language
- Arranging accommodation and transportation for parents’ visit including (if required) school visit (not including transport and accommodation costs)
- Member of the Agency team to meet parents at airport and accompanying them on the visit as required
- Providing a translator to accompany you when visiting the UK or the school where your child is boarding
- Help and support in finding an alternative school where necessary
- Academic Tutoring in all subjects and at all levels
- Chauffeur-driven collection/drop off arrangement
- Internship opportunities with local companies
- Shopping trip: Chauffeur trip to London (Harrods, Harvey Nichols, etc.) for the day including car, driver, Guardian to accompany depending on age.
- Chauffeur-driven collection/drop off arrangement for parents
Do contact us/ get in touch for an informal discussion and to hear what makes us different.
+44208 531 4182